Here I am, on the eve of Cinco De Mayo, at 10:38 pm, exhausted, yet suddenly determined to make a dessert to celebrate tomorrow’s holiday at work. I’m sort of thinking, what the eff? I finally have two sleeping kids and have been looking forward to sleep all day (one of those days). But I believe you should never turn away inspiration no matter how tired you feel! So with the notion of finding something I could make that was fast, simple, required little and common ingredients that I’d have in my kitchen, and was festive enough for tomorrow, I created these Triple Citrus & Coconut Cake Mix Cookies!
My go to is always cookies and if I can use the hack of making cookies from a box of cake mix, that’s even better! There is so much one can do to doctor up a box of cake mix, not to mention it can make things super easy if you’re in a time crunch (like me). I felt like this recipe was meant to be – I had a box of lemon cake mix on hand, something I typically do not have on hand. Usually my staples are chocolate or vanilla, but lemon is not all too common! Magically, I still had my DIY orange extract and lime juice in the fridge that hadn’t expired for 4 more months despite feeling like I’ve had that in their for ages! PLUS, I was down to my last two eggs which is precisely the amount of eggs that were called for this recipe! The stars had certainly aligned on this night!
- 1 box of Lemon Cake Mix
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil, canola oil or coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- food coloring (optional)
- In a medium sized bowl, combine all ingredients together.
- Mix well - add a small amount of green food coloring if you want your cookies to appear streaked with color. Gently stir so there are streaks!
- Chill in the fridge for a hour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- After dough has been chilled, form into tablespoon sized balls.
- Place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 10 minutes or till done!
- Fruit zests would be great added in and rolling the cookie dough in coconut is also another option/suggestion!
I’m excited to share these with my coworkers and I think they will go great with our lunch that we plan on ordering from Pancheros!