Yesterday, with the day ahead of me, I tried something new; I made Spaetzle from scratch. I had high hopes going into it that it would be an easy feat, and I would love-making it. Well, I did…until I got to the point where I needed to push the dough through a plastic colander. Here’s a note: invest in kitchen tools. Having the proper utensils would make this recipe even easier, but if you don’t have them, there is still a way!
Anyways, it was a great learning experience and I was able to incorporate one of the many shredded cheese that Crystal Farms® has. Crystal Farms® is located in Lake Mills, which from Madison is only about 40 minutes away depending on what side of town you are in! Until now, I never realized how close they were, but I’m not surprised as I’m a big believer that the best cheese always comes from Wisconsin 😉
- 1 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 8 cups water
- 1.5 cup of Crystal Farms® Gouda Shredded Cheese
- 1/2 cup milk
- 6-8 cooked pieces of bacon chopped up
- In a large bowl, stir the flour, eggs, milk, and salt until smooth. Dough will be sticky.
- In a large sauce pan, bring water to a boil.
- With a wooded spoon, push the dough through a colander or spaetzle maker coated with cooking spray and place over boiling water.
- Cook for 2 minutes or until dumplings float.
- Remove with slotted spoon. Can be refrigerated in advance for 1-2 days.
- In a seperate bowl, mix together one cup of Crystal Farms® shredded cheese, 1/2 the bacon, and milk.
- In a sauce pan, on medium-high heat, melt 3-4 tablespoons of butter and toss in Spaetzel. Cook until lightly golden.
- When golden brown, put Spaetzel into a casserole dish, and pour in the cheese mixture. Mix together - it will melt instantly.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese and bacon on top and broil on low for 5 minutes or until browned.
This turned out way better than I could have imagined! It’s a perfect side dish, well-loved by kiddos, and serves at least 6 people. The best part is that you can choose any kind of cheese that you want and as I mentioned above, with the numerous amounts of cheese options that Crystal Farms® you won’t have any issues customizing this dish to your liking!
*GIVEAWAY!* I would love for you to make this at home and try it yourself! To help you along, I get to giveaway 3 free product coupons to one winner. All you have to do is tell me what recipe inspires you to make something new at home for Dinner in the comments below + be sure to include your email in the comments, too! You may enter as many times as you’d like as long as each comment is a new recipe :)!
— Ashley ⭐️ (@Shippydoll) November 6, 2017